The WP-Cron system in WordPress is not a „real“ cron system, which means events may not run exactly according to their schedule because the system relies on regular traffic to the website in order to trigger scheduled events.
Reasons WP-Cron events can miss their schedule
- Low traffic websites may not trigger the event runner often enough
- A fatal error caused by a plugin or theme may break the event runner
- A plugin or theme may intentionally or unintentionally break the event runner
- BasicAuth, a firewall, or other access restrictions may block the event runner
- A problem with your web hosting or web server may break the event runner
DISABLE_WP_CRONconfiguration constant is set but no alternative cron runner has been put in place
- Long-running events may temporarily block the event runner
- High traffic websites may suffer from sequential processing issues that block the event runner
The Migrate WP Cron to Action Scheduler plugin does alter the way that WordPress core runs cron events using the Action Scheduler Library.
Action Scheduler is a scalable, traceable job queue for background processing large sets of actions in WordPress. It’s specially designed to be distributed in WordPress plugins.
Action Scheduler works by triggering an action hook to run at some time in the future. Each hook can be scheduled with unique data, to allow callbacks to perform operations on that data. The hook can also be scheduled to run on one or more occassions.
Think of it like an extension to
do_action() which adds the ability to delay and repeat a hook.
Battle-Tested Background Processing
It’s been seen on live sites processing queues in excess of 50,000 jobs and doing resource intensive operations, like processing payments and creating orders, at a sustained rate of over 10,000 / hour without negatively impacting normal site operations.
This is all on infrastructure and WordPress sites outside the control of the plugin author.
If your plugin needs background processing, especially of large sets of tasks, Action Scheduler can help.
To learn more about how to Action Scheduler works, and how to use it in your plugin, check out the docs on ActionScheduler.org.
There you will find:
- Usage guide: instructions on installing and using Action Scheduler
- WP CLI guide: instructions on running Action Scheduler at scale via WP CLI
- API Reference: complete reference guide for all API functions
- Administration Guide: guide to managing scheduled actions via the administration screen
- Guide to Background Processing at Scale: instructions for running Action Scheduler at scale via the default WP Cron queue runner
- Community support via the support forums at WordPress.org.
- Active development of this plugin is handled on GitHub.
- Feel free to fork the project on GitHub and submit your contributions via pull request.
Action Scheduler is developed and maintained by Automattic.
- Visit ‚Plugins > Add New‘
- Search for ‚Migrate WP Cron to Action Scheduler‘ and install it.
- Or you can upload the
migrate-wp-cron-to-action-schedulerfolder to the
- Activate Migrate WP Cron to Action Scheduler from your Plugins page.
- After activation go to ‚Tools > Scheduled Actions‘.
How this plugin works?
To Avoid all limitations of WP Cron, this plugin automatically replaces all the Cron Events with Actions Scheduler Actions.
Will it work with my theme?
Yes, our plugins work independently of themes you are using. As long as your website is running on WordPress version 5.1 or later, it will work.
There are no reviews for this plugin.
Mitwirkende & Entwickler
„Migrate WP Cron to Action Scheduler“ ist Open-Source-Software. Folgende Menschen haben an diesem Plugin mitgewirkt:Mitwirkende
Interessiert an der Entwicklung?
If you like Migrate WP Cron to Action Scheduler, please take a moment to give a 5-star rating. It helps to keep development and support going strong. Thank you!
Release Date: 3rd December, 2021
- Fixed: An errors which occurs if cron is creating early before initialization of Action schedular library.
Release Date: 2nd December, 2021
- Added: A check to prevent creating duplicate actions.
- Updated: Action Scheduler library to v3.4.0.
- Fixed: Date format error.
Release Date: 5th June, 2021
- Updated: Action Scheduler library to v3.2.0.
Release Date: 7th March, 2021
- Added: Ability to Auto Delete pending tasks from Action Scheduler upon Deactivation.
Release Date: 4th March, 2021
- Added: Ability to Auto delete the Store Schema on PLugin Activation and Deactivation to avoid Missing Database error on some installations.
- Added: Ability to Purge Cache on plugin Deactivation.
Release Date: 2nd March, 2021
- Initial Release.