The Facebook Chat Plugin is a free and easy to use tool to connect with customers on your website. With a few clicks, you can add the plugin to your website, enabling customers to message you while browsing your website. Chats started on your website can be continued in the customers‘ Messenger app, so you never lose connections with your customers. Even those without a Facebook Messenger account can chat with you in guest mode, so you can reach more customers than ever.
„Having an open line of communication with our customers gives them a sense of confidence from the browsing stage to final checkout,“ said Ryan Pamplin, CEO of BlendJet. „We noticed that customers who engage with us are three to four times more likely to checkout. With the Chat Plugin allowing us to reach more customers, we’ve tripled our sales since offering it as a customer engagement channel.“
Key features of the Chat Plugin:
- No disconnection: Using the plugin creates a long-lived thread between you and your customers in Messenger. Customers can start a chat on your website and carry on in their mobile device with the Messenger app.
- Chat transcripts are automatically created in the customer’s Messenger account
- The familiar, modern interface of Messenger builds trust and encourages your customers to engage with you
- You can use the same Inboxes on desktop and mobile that you use to manage your Facebook page messaging
- You can set up hours of availability, auto replies and FAQ to serve customers when you’re not available
Requires WordPress Version: 3.9 or higher
Requires PHP Version: 5.2.4 or higher
In order to use the Chat Plugin, you will need to have a published Facebook Page. You can find a list of your Facebook Pages by following this link. If you do not have a Facebook Page, you can create one for free here.
Once you have your Facebook Page ready, you will be asked to login to Facebook on the computer or device you are using to install the plugin. You can then follow the directions below.
To install the Chat Plugin:
1. Log in to your WordPress dashboard, navigate to the Plugins menu and click Add New.
2. In the search field, type ‚Facebook Chat Plugin‘ and click ‚Search Plugins‘. Select the plugin authored by ‚Facebook‘. You can install it by simply clicking ‚Install Now‘.
Following the Facebook platform and versioning, all versions will be supported for 2 years from launch. Updating should be safe and easy.
Configure plugin for first use
After navigating to the Chat Plugin settings page, click on ‚Setup Customer Chat.‘ A new window will appear for setting up the plugin and you will be asked to select the Facebook Page you want to use. Next, you will go through the plugin setup with the following steps:
1. You will be asked to select the language and you can customize the greeting message. The default greeting is „Hi! How can we help you?“
2. The next screen allows you to select your response time and chat color. By setting the response time, you can set expectations with your customers on when they will receive a response
3. Next, click on ‚Finish‘ to save these settings and click ‚Done‘ to close this window. The Messenger customer chat plugin should now be installed.
4. You can rerun the setup by clicking ‚Edit Customer Chat‘. To remove the plugin, you can deactivate the plugin/uninstall it.
That’s it! You’re all set. Now all visitors to your WordPress website will see the Messenger customer chat plugin and can message you.
If you get stuck, or have any questions, you can ask for help in the Messenger Platform Developer Community.
What do I need before setting up the Chat Plugin on my website?
You will need to have a published Facebook Page and be logged into Facebook on your computer or device.
How does the plugin work?
Where can I see all my messages?
On the desktop, you can see all messages in your Page Inbox. Navigate to your Facebook Page on Facebook and click on ‚Inbox‘ at the top. On mobile, you can download the Facebook Pages Manager app and navigate to Inbox. You can also link your Page account to your Messenger app and access all your messages there.
What permissions do I need on a Page to enable the Messenger customer chat feature?
You need be an administrator of the Page.
Can I see messaging analytics for my Facebook page?
On the desktop, go to your Facebook page, and click on Insights on the Navigation bar. On the left hand side, click on Messaging to see your messaging analytics.
Where can I find support?
Please refer to our troubleshooting guide for the most common issues and how to resolve them.
If you get stuck, or have any questions, you can ask for help in the Messenger Platform Developer Community. If you would like to file a bug, please use the Facebook Bug tool found here.
Mitwirkende & Entwickler
„Facebook Chat Plugin – Live Chat Plugin for WordPress“ ist Open-Source-Software. Folgende Menschen haben an diesem Plugin mitgewirkt:Mitwirkende
„Facebook Chat Plugin – Live Chat Plugin for WordPress“ wurde in 12 Sprachen übersetzt. Danke an die Übersetzerinnen und Übersetzer für ihre Mitwirkung.
Interessiert an der Entwicklung?
2.2 – Jun 30, 2021
- Tested up to WordPress 5.7.2
- Product rename! (“Facebook Chat Plugin“)
- Fixed PHP8 issues
- Fixed issue with initialisation of ajax_object (Github issue #10)
- Improvements and fixes to the Advanced Configuration page deployment selector
- Added review prompt card to solicit feedback from users
2.1 – May 1, 2021
- Tested up to WordPress 5.7.1
- Added new configuration options for admin to specify which pages to deploy the plugin on
2.0 – Dec 1, 2020
- Tested up to WordPress 5.5.3
- Added translations for strings on admin panel settings and css fix
1.9 – Nov 3, 2020
- Tested up to WordPress 5.5.3
- Added troubleshooting links in plugin settings page and faq’s
1.8 – Sept 28, 2020
- Tested up to WordPress 5.5.1
- Added instruction links in plugin install page
1.7 – Aug 5, 2020
- Tested up to WordPress 5.4.2
- Added Plugin versioning
1.6 – July 27, 2020
- Fix security issue
1.5 – April 29, 2020
- Fix undefined variable error message
1.4 – April 13, 2020
- Tested up to WordPress 5.3.2
- Simplify installation flow
1.3 – June 17, 2019
- Tested up to WordPress 5.2.1
- Fixed security issue
1.2 – February 28, 2019
- Tested up to WordPress 5.1
- Fixed issues with Safari
- Fix: Edge case where multiple SDK loaded on the page resulting with plugin not loading
1.1 – October 31, 2018
- Updated plugin to use new Facebook JS SDK
- Fix: Error message in code snippet
1.0 – September 24, 2018
- Plugin released for all users